Carnaross GAA Club, Co. Meath - A82 DW01

2017 Junior D Championship

Team played won drawn lost FOR AGAINST difference points
Ballinabrackey 5 5 0 0 103 43 60 10
Carnaross 5 3 0 2 60 59 1 6
Longwood 5 3 0 2 40 45 -5 6
Wolfe Tones 5 3 0 2 28 40 -12 6
Ballinlough 5 1 0 4 27 42 -15 2
Kilmainhamwood 5 0 0 5 8 37 -29 0

Carnaross 1-19 Ballinlough 2-14

Junior D Championship (Round 1)

Played in Moylagh – 22/5/2017

Neighbours Carnaross and Ballinlough served up a thrilling encounter in Round 1 of the Junior D Championship with end to end action throughout. The result could have gone either way but a late surge from Carnaross resulted in a two point victory over last year’s beaten finalists.

The opening ten minutes set the tone for the game with the sides level on 1-2 apiece. Carnaross took an early lead with points from Patrick Smith and Ollie Murphy but the advantage quickly swung in favour of the Ballinlough men when they hit a quickfire 1-2 in the space of three minutes. Paddy Dillon restored parity when he found the net following good build up play from the two Ollie’s, Murphy and Farrelly. Carnaross added two more points from Ollie Murphy and Decky Reilly, who recently returned home following a failed ice hockey career in Canada. Ballinlough hit back with a converted free but Carnaross went on to dominate the remainder of the opening half and points from Ollie Murphy (1), Decky Reilly (2), Ollie Farrelly (2) gave them a 1-9 to 1-5 advantage at half-time.

Decky Reilly opened the scoring after the restart to open the gap to five points, but Ballinlough wiped out that lead hitting 1-2 in the space of two minutes to leave the sides all square. Carnaross edged in front with a point each from Pierce Fleming and Decky Reilly but once again Ballinlough hit back to level with twenty minutes remaining. The game was now at fever pitch with both sides exchanging two points each with Patrick Smith and Ollie Murphy pointing for Carnaross. With the game entering the closing stages it swung in favour of Ballinlough who opened up a two point advantage with three minutes of normal time remaining. However, Carnaross battled on and levelled matters with points from attacking wing back Patrick Smith and the lively Decky Reilly and a draw looked to be on the cards. However, substitute John L McGee who was making his Junior D debut had the final say as he landed two points in added time to give his side the victory.

It was a good start to the campaign for a Carnaross who got all bar three of their scores from play. There was a good blend of youth and experience, with Jack Roche making his debut for the club at adult level.

Carnaross: Eamonn Comaskey; Jack Roche, Matthew O’Reilly, Cian Yore; Patrick Smith (0-3), Brian Comaskey, Aidan Lynch; Pierce Fleming (0-1), Peter Mullan; Blaine Lynch, Decky Reilly (0-7, 1f), Paddy Dillon (1-0); Alan O’Reilly, Ollie Murphy (0-4, 1f), Ollie Farrelly (0-2); Subs: Stephen Dawson for Blaine Lynch; John L McGee (0-2, 1f) for Alan O’Reilly;

Carnaross 1-9 Longwood 1-13

Junior D Championship (Round 2)

Played in Kildalkey – 23/6/2017

A poor first half display which left Carnaross trailing by eight points at half-time proved too much of a margin to turn around.

Following an impressive first round victory over Ballinlough, the Carnaross line-up consisted of seven changes from that encounter and it took a long time for them to shake off the cobwebs. Longwood opened the scoring with a goal in the third minute and went on to extend their lead to 1-3 to no score after a low scoring twenty minutes. Carnaross struggled to make any impact up front but their first score finally arrived in the twenty-third minute courtesy of Paul Donoghue. Ciaran McDonnell, on a flying visit from Australia, answered the club’s call and he got on the scoresheet with a point and also forced a good stop from the Longwood keeper. Further points from Longwood gave them a commanding eight point lead at the break, 1-7 to 0-2.

Both sides exchanged early points after the restart with Ollie Farrelly hitting the target for Carnaross. Longwood then had a player dismissed after five minutes and this gave Carnaross the opportunity to get back into contention. Two unanswered points from Ciaran McDonnell and Stephen Dawson chipped into the Longwood lead. McDonnell added two more points but crucially Longwood replied with two of their own to keep distance between the sides. Stephen Dawson and Brian Comaskey scored a point apiece but once again Longwood hit back with three more late points. The final score of the game was a Carnaross goal from Ciaran McDonnell, capping off a fine performance in his first game for the club in six years.

Carnaross: Damian McArdle; Alan O’Reilly, Matthew O’Reilly, Cian Yore; Colin Yore, Brian Comaskey (0-1), Patrick Smith; Pierce Fleming, Eamonn Comaskey; Colm Carpenter, Paul Donoghue (0-1), Enda Gillic; Ciaran McDonnell (1-4), Ollie Farrelly (0-1), Tadgh Skelly; Subs: Jack Roche for Tadgh Skelly; Stephen Dawson (0-2) for Enda Gillic; Blaine Lynch for Alan O’Reilly; Benny Murphy for Colin Yore;

Carnaross 3-9 Wolfe Tones 0-8

Junior D Championship (Round 3)

Played in Kilmainham – 23/7/2017

Carnaross got their Junior D campaign back on track when they emerged ten point winners after a good team performance in fine conditions in Kilmainham. After a scoreless opening 10 minutes Carnaross hit the ground running with Killian Porter hitting 1-1. Wolfe Tones struck back with a point before points from Brian Comaskey and Stephen Dawson extended Carnaross’s lead to five.

Carnaross went on to dominate the remainder of the half and a long ball in to Ollie Murphy saw him pulled to the ground for a penalty. He duly stepped up and bamboozled the keeper with a textbook finish from the spot. 2 more points followed from Porter after some champagne football from Murphy, Comaskey and Peter Mullan. The Tones replied with 2 points to close the half leaving Carnaross 8 points up, 2-05 to 0-03.

An Ollie Murphy point opened the scoring in the second half before Wolfe Tones replied with a point of their own. Carnaross opened up an eleven point lead with fine scores from Ollie Farrelly and Porter before Blaine Lynch bobbed around his man and lofted a high ball over the bar.

Wolfe Tones hit a purple patch and reeled off four points in a row to reduce the deficit to six. This period included a melee in the Carnaross goalmouth as Jack “the Bull” Yore marked his Junior D return. However Carnaross had the last say as a high ball in to Ollie “Bomber” Farrelly was fisted to the net to seal a ten point win. Carnaross remain in contention for a semi final appearance after good performances all over the field.

Carnaross: Jack Yore; John Plunkett, Matthew O’Reilly, Cian Yore; Stephen Dawson (0-1), Eamonn Comaskey, Alan O’Reilly; Pierce Fleming, Peter Mullan; Ollie Farrelly (1-1), Brian Comaskey (0-1), Killian Porter (1-4); Blaine Lynch (0-1), Ollie Murphy (1-1), Tadgh Skelly; Subs: Damian McArdle for Skelly; Jack Roche for Porter;

Carnaross 1-5 Ballinabrackey 1-12

Junior D Championship (Round 5)

Played in Kildalkey – 27/8/2017

Ballinabrackey started the game at a fast pace and had 6 points on the scoreboard before Ollie Murphy got the first point for Carnaross. Jack Yore then made a great penalty save to keep Carnaross in the game. Points from Ollie Murphy and Ollie Farrelly got Carnaross back in the game but Ballinabrackey got 3 points of their own  to leave the half time score Carnaross  0-3, Ballinabrackey  0-9.

Ollie Farrelly got the first point of the second half and shortly afterwards were denied a goal by some great defending by Ballinabrackey. However, Ballinabrackey killed the game off when they scored a goal and quickly added a point. Carnaross didn’t throw in the towel and following good play from Ollie Murphy, Ollie Farrelly found the net.  Bernard Murphy then added a point to become the third over 40 on the scoresheet for Carnaross but Ballinabrackey got the last two scores of the game to leave the final score 1-12 to 1-5.

Carnaross: Jack Yore; John Plunkett, Matthew O’Reilly, Patrick Smith; Jack Roche, Peter Carpenter, Cian Yore; Peter Mullan, Colm Carpenter; Colin Yore, Brian Comaskey, Enda Gillic; Alan O’Reilly, Oliver Murphy (0-2), Oliver Farrelly (1-2); Subs: Bernard Murphy (0-1) for Colin Yore; Shane Comaskey for Jack Yore; Emmet Mullan for John Plunkett; Ben Carry for Alan O’Reilly; Tom Shortt for Colm Carpenter; Conor Woods for Enda Gillic;

Carnaross 3-7 Longwood 2-4

Junior D Championship (2nd Place Playoff)

Played in Athboy – 10/9/2017

Carnaross emerged six point winners on a wet Sunday afternoon in Athboy. Carnaross started strongest against the breeze and Alan O’Reilly opened the scoring with a fine effort after being picked out by Ollie Murphy. Longwood replied with a point before Murphy chipped a delicate point and followed up with a well struck penalty after Cian Yore was taken down. A fortuitous Longwood goal narrowed the gap to one as the ball ricocheted off Yore’s face before looping into the corner of the net. Murphy was too hot to handle for the Longwood defence and took his personal tally to 1-04 with two more points from play and a free after a foul on Ollie Farrelly. Longwood closed the scoring in the first half with a pointed free after a David Luiz style slide tackle from Patrick Smith to leave Carnaross in front at the break 1-05 to 1-02.

Carnaross started the second half brightly when Ollie Farrelly scored his third goal in three successive Junior D games. He showed the keeper no mercy with a ruthless dummy hop before falling and striking to the net. Carnaross and Longwood traded points with a fine Stephen Dawson effort before a third Carnaross goal effectively sealed the win. A loose ball in the full forward line was beautifully flicked up by Ollie Murphy to the incoming Peter Carpenter whose finish was a carbon copy of Peter Canavans 2005 All Ireland effort vs Kerry. The scores dried up for the closing fifteen minutes. Longwood scored their final point before an outstanding 60 yard point from Jack Roche who was eating out of the Dermot Connolly recipe book. Longwood scored a dubiously awarded penalty with the last kick of the game to leave the final score 3-07 to 2-04.

Carnaross are rewarded with a quarter final appearance against Clonard and will be hoping to emulate the Junior A team by reaching the semi-final stages.

Carnaross: Shane Comaskey; John Plunkett, Matthew O’Reilly, Cian Yore; Jack Roche (0-1), Eamonn Comaskey, Patrick Smith; Pierce Fleming, Peter Carpenter (1-0); Alan O’Reilly (0-1), Brian Comaskey, Stephen Dawson (0-1); Ollie Farrelly (1-0), Ollie Murphy (1-4), Dillon Fox; Subs: Conor Woods for Alan O’Reilly; Bernard Murphy for Ollie Murphy; Tom Shortt for Eamonn Comaskey; Blaine Lynch for Ollie Farrelly;

Carnaross 1-18 Clonard 2-9

Junior D Championship (Quarter-Final)

Played in Bective – 16/9/2017

Carnaross responded to the challenge of two games in six days with a six point win over Clonard to reach the semi-finals of the Junior D championship. Clonard could not match the Carnaross pace and mobility around the middle third despite remaining competitive for most of the game.

Benny Murphy opened the scoring for Carnaross after good work by the hardworking Dean Connell and Pierce Fleming. Clonard replied strongly with a quick-fire 1-2 to take a four point lead. Carnaross hit back with scores from Fleming, Connell and an excellent left footed effort from Peter “Canavan” Carpenter. Both teams traded points with Fleming accountable for the Carnaross score before The Ross hit a purple patch to take the game by the scruff off the neck. Carpenter, Murphy and Fleming made it a two point game before Dean Connell hit the onion bag with a daisy cutter from 25 yards. Ollie Farrelly curled over a fine effort before Tadgh Skelly hit the score of the game with a no-look effort from the 50 yard line. A Clonard penalty was awarded despite the Carnaross netminder Shane Comaskey departing with a dislocated shoulder. Jack Yore’s first act in goals was to pick the ball out of the net as the Clonard corner back finished from the spot in style. However, Carnaross had the final say in an action packed first half. Benny Murphy was on fire and hit his third score of the half before Paddy Smith hit a trademark score off his left to leave the men in maroon and saffron six in front at the break 1-12 to 2-3.

Dean Connell opened the second-half scoring with a pointed free before the anticipated Clonard backlash arrived. Three points from play reduced the gap to four and the game was back in the melting pot. Pierce Fleming settled Carnaross with two frees before Paddy Smith popped up with his second point, this time with the right boot. Clonard once more responded with three successive points to leave four in it with ten minutes remaining. Brian Comaskey dominated the closing minutes around midfield and was rewarded with a fine point to close the game after Fleming had converted another free.

Carnaross advance to the semi-finals full of confidence buoyed by two wins in successive weeks and with the match sharpness returning to several key players will be a match for any opponent.

Carnaross: Shane Comaskey; John Plunkett, Matthew O’Reilly, Alan O’Reilly; Stephen Dawson, Eamonn Comaskey, Patrick Smith (0-2); Pierce Fleming (0-6), Peter Carpenter (0-2); Dean Connell (1-2), Brian Comaskey (0-1), Paul Donoghue; Ollie Farrelly (0-1), Benny Murphy (0-3), Tadgh Skelly (0-1); Subs: Jack Yore for Shane Comaskey; Conor Woods for Tadgh Skelly; Jack Roche for Alan O’Reilly;

Carnaross 3-12 St. Peter’s 1-11

Junior D Championship (Semi-Final)

Played in Paddy O’Brien Park – 29/9/2017

An exciting encounter played under the dim lights of Paddy O’Brien Park saw Carnaross emerge seven point winners over Dunboyne to reach the Junior D final. The guile and fitness of this Carnaross side cannot be questioned after overturning a nine point deficit in a remarkable comeback.

The teams traded points with Pierce Fleming accounting for the Carnaross effort. Dunboyne were playing with a strong wind in the first half and rattled off six points in a row including some fine strikes from distance. The Ross were battling hard for scores and Ollie Murphy opened his account to narrow the gap. A Dunboyne goal left the score 1-07 to 0-02 and things were looking bleak for the North Meath men. Patrick Smith scored a trademark point but two Dunboyne efforts put a massive nine points between the sides. Carnaross may have been guilty of overplaying the ball in the middle third but more direct play reaped rewards when a long ball fell to Ollie Murphy. He continues to give defenders sleepless nights and left the keeper with no chance blasting to the net. Dean Connell hit the target with a free after outstanding work by Brian Comaskey. St Peter’s had the final say in an action packed first half with a point to leave the half time score 1-10 to 1-04 in favour of the Dunboyne men.

Carnaross needed a strong start to the second half and opened the scoring with a bang. Another long ball found Ollie Murphy out by the left sideline. A dummy hop sold the full back before a fine run and another classy finish. Dillon Fox was becoming influential in midfield, taking over from Peter Carpenter who is on a winter training camp in Vietnam, and he got on the scoresheet with a fine point before the point of the match from Stephen Dawson. Carnaross hit the lead for the first team when Ollie Farrelly hit the net. The game was in the balance and both sides created chances. But it was Carnaross who took theirs with two Ollie Murphy frees and a point each from Brian Comaskey and Dillon Fox before Dunboyne registered their only point of the second half. Two Dillon Fox frees closed the scoring as Carnaross ran out seven point winners and can now look forward to a first adult championship final appearance in seven years.

Carnaross: Jack Yore; John Plunkett, Matthew O’Reilly, Jack Roche; Stephen Dawson (0-1), Eamonn Comaskey, Cian Yore; Pierce Fleming (0-1), Dillon Fox (0-4); Dean Connell (0-1), Brian Comaskey (0-1), Patrick Smith (0-1); Ollie Murphy (2-3), Benny Murphy, Ollie Farrelly (1-0); Subs: Paddy Nugent for John Plunkett; Paul Donoghue for Ollie Farrelly; Colm Carpenter for Ollie Murphy; Peter Mullan for Stephen Dawson; Alan O’Reilly for Cian Yore; Tom Shortt for Patrick Smith;

Carnaross 0-13 Longwood 0-6

Junior D Championship (Final)

Played in Pairc Tailteann – 15/10/2017

The Carnaross Junior D team finished off their campaign on a high when they overcame the challenge of Longwood to claim the Liam Creavin Cup. In doing so, they also created a bit of history for the club as this was the first championship win for a second string. It was the ninth championship overall to come home to the parish and the first since 1993.

The weather conditions were not favourable with constant rainfall but to their credit both sides served up an honest and entertaining tussle over the hour. Playing towards the town end, Longwood were first to show with David Flynn's opener in the third minute.

Carnaross quickly responded through Dean Connell. Then the Cavan-border side kicked on with a trio of points. They hit the front through Patrick Smith in the 13th minute. Seconds later Ollie Murphy set up Pierce Fleming to score and just into the second quarter Ollie Murphy made it 0-4 to 0-1 as conditions deteriorated.

Just after Longwood lost Ian Keenan to a black card, David Flynn posted his second point for the south county side. It was countered by Pierce Fleming's second point. Soon after his introduction for the black-carded Ian Keenan, Gary Heneghan closed the first-half scoring. Carnaross led by 0-5 to 0-3 at the break as conditions became gloomier.

John L McGee's men built on their slender interval advantage and weren't reeled in after the change of ends. Ollie Murphy's second pointed free got Carnaross' second-half going in the 33rd minute. It was quickly followed by an ‘over the shoulder’ point from team captain Ollie Farrelly. When Brian Comaskey chipped in it was 0-8 to 0-3 with 35 minutes gone.

Longwood - who beat Carnaross in an earlier game in the championship - had the better of the second quarter. When Enda Dixon pointed the south county side were just three points off the pace, 0-6 to 0-9, after 44 minutes.

However, Carnaross closed in on possession of the Liam Creavin Cup with four unanswered points as conditions improved slightly. Patrick Smith's second point and score of the day got the sequence going. Then Ollie Murphy turned provider for Dean Connell to bring Carnaross' tally to double figures. Within moments of his introduction, Paul Donoghue got off the mark for Carnaross with the game's penultimate score. Cian Yore went close to turning the ball in for a goal in the 58th minute but his effort just drifted the wrong side of the post.

Ollie Murphy, who was celebrating his 42nd birthday, limped off to a hero's applause with a standing ovation from all present in Pairc Tailteann. The two-time All-Ireland SFC winner and two-time All Star laid the foundations for this success posting three of his points in the opening half in very difficult conditions.

Dillon Fox closed the scoring for men in maroon and gold. By the end eight different players were on the scoresheet for Carnaross, but huge credit must go to the tight defensive unit who held firm over the hour, which laid the platform for this success.

Brendan Cummins gave a glowing tribute to Ollie Murphy in his speech before handing over the Liam Creavin Cup to Carnaross Captain Ollie Farrelly as celebrations got underway for our first adult title in 18 years.

Carnaross: Jack Yore; John Plunkett, Matthew O'Reilly, Jack Roche; Stephen Dawson, Eamonn Comaskey, Cian Yore; Pierce Fleming (0-2), Dillon Fox (0-1); Dean Connell (0-1), Brian Comaskey (0-1), Patrick Smith (0-2); Ollie Murphy (0-4, 2fs), Benny Murphy, Ollie Farrelly (C) (0-1). Subs: Peter Mullan for Farrelly (49); Paul Donoghue (0-1) for B Murphy (bc 52); Colm Carpenter for O Murphy (58); Alan O'Reilly for Fleming (64); Conor Woods for B Comaskey (64);




Our Pitch Sponsors

Thanks to all our sponsors for your continued support