Carnaross GAA Club, Co. Meath - A82 DW01

2015 Under-21

Carnaross 0-8 Blackhall Gaels 2-16

Under-21 C (Final)

Played in Trim – 8/11/2015

Carnaross proved no match for a much stronger Blackhall Gaels side who ran out comfortable winners in the decider in Trim.

The game was played in very blustery conditions with very heavy rainfall prior to throw-in. However, this did not hamper Blackhall Gaels who took charge early on racing into a three point lead. Cian O’Reilly pointed for Carnaross but Blackhall Gaels continued their dominance adding five more points without reply. Frank O’Reilly opened his account ten minutes before the break but three more points from Blackhall Gaels left them with a significant 0-11 to 0-2 lead at half-time. Carnaross were unlucky not to have had a penalty on the stroke of half-time when Paddy Dillon was fouled when through on goal but the referee let play continue.

Three early points after the restart from Blackhall Gaels stretched their lead to twelve. Carnaross responded with three of their own from Frank O’Reilly and Cian O’Reilly as they enjoyed a brief period of dominance but their hard work was quickly undone when Blackhall Gaels got the game’s opening goal with thirteen minutes remaining. Carnaross added two further points and were unlucky not to grab a goal when Aidan Lynch’s effort was kept out by the Blackhall keeper. Blackhall Gaels added 1-1 in the closing stages to finish up convincing winners.

Carnaross: Jack Yore; Peter Carpenter, Aidan Lynch; Liam Brogan, Tomás Plunkett, Cian Yore; Colm Carpenter, Michael Brogan; Paddy Dillon, Pierce Fleming, Cian O’Reilly (0-3); Frank O’Reilly (0-5), Colm McDonagh; Subs: Liam Day for Colm McDonagh; HJ Muldoon for Colm Carpenter; Shane McEnroe for Cian Yore;

Carnaross (w/o) Clonard (scr)

Under-21 C (Semi-Final)

Carnaross 1-11 Cortown 1-9

Under-21 C (Quarter-Final)

Played in Moynalty – 10/10/2015

Carnaross defied all the odds to progress to the U21 semi-final at the expense of neighbours Cortown.

On a perfect evening for football things were not looking so good for Carnaross who struggled to make a team before throw-in and an injured Cian O’Reilly stood in to make up the numbers. However, O’Reilly was unable to continue and Carnaross were forced to give Cortown a one man advantage for the entire game. When the game got underway it was Cortown who made an early impact and when they registered three early points things looked ominous for Carnaross. However, when they did settle they scored two frees in the space of a minute courtesy of Frank O’Reilly. A fine point from play from the hard working Tomás Plunkett levelled matters before Frank O’Reilly put Carnaross in front for the first time with another point from play. Cortown hit back with a free but Carnaross restored their lead once more with a free of their own from Frank O’Reilly. Cortown upped the tempo and went on to outscore Carnaross 1-3 to 0-1 in the final ten minutes with Peirce Fleming pointing for Carnaross. This left Cortown with a 1-7 to 0-6 half-time lead.

Carnaross received a further blow when midfielder Colm Carpenter picked up an ankle injury but he bravely continued to battle on and was deployed on his own in the full-forward line. Carnaross got a lucky break early on in the second-half when Frank O’Reilly’s long range effort dropped into the net to leave just one point between the sides. This score was the boost Carnaross needed and they levelled the game again when Colm McDonagh pointed. Cortown hit the front once more but Carnaross replied once again through Frank O’Reilly with fifteen minutes remaining. The remainder of the game turned into a real battle and the next score didn’t arrive until Cortown hit the front with seven minutes remaining. However, Carnaross refused to lie down and they found an equaliser when corner-back Peter Carpenter charged forward to split the posts. Carnaross had displayed amazing character to be still in touch at this stage and they were rewarded when they hit the front with two minutes remaining thanks again to Frank O’Reilly. The win was secured a minute later when O’Reilly was taken down for a penalty and he wisely chose to tap it over the bar and seal a well deserved victory after a brilliant team display of heart and character.

Carnaross: Liam Brogan; Peter Carpenter (0-1), Aidan Lynch; Paddy Dillon, Tomás Plunkett (0-1), Pierce Fleming (0-1); Colm Carpenter, Michael Brogan; Frank O’Reilly (1-7), Colm McDonagh (0-1), HJ Muldoon; Jack Yore, Cian O’Reilly;




Our Pitch Sponsors

Thanks to all our sponsors for your continued support