Carnaross Gaelic Football Club County Meath Ireland

2009 Intermediate Championship

Carnaross 0-5 St. Michaels 2-9

Intermediate Championship

Played in Moynalty – 15/4/2009

Neighbours Carnaross and St. Michaels kicked off this years championship action and it was the Carlanstown men who progressed as winners following two quick-fire goals in the second-half put the game beyond Carnaross.

Playing against the wind in the first-half, John L McGee opened the scoring for Carnaross with a close range free before St. Michaels cancelled it with a free of their own. McGee restored the lead once again when he converted a free following a foul on Declan Reilly. St. Michaels then took the lead with two points from play and could have had a bigger lead following a number of wides. Another two points from St. Michaels left three points between the sides at the break, 0-5 to 0-2.

Carnaross got the second-half off to the perfect start when Declan Reilly scored a point from play but St. Michaels hit back with a free. After about ten minutes Carnaross received two hammer blows when St. Michaels had the ball in the net twice in the space of a minute and suddenly found themselves ten points down. As the heavens opened the remainder of the game was played in a downpour. Carnaross tried to get back into the game and two points from John L McGee and Damien Smith reduced the margin but ultimately they had too much to do as St. Michaels scored the last two points of the game to run out worthy winners.

Carnaross Team & Scorers: Cillian Comaskey; Shane Comaskey, Thomas Nugent, John Plunkett; Peter Farrelly, Patrick Nugent, Patrick Smith; Brian Comaskey, Peter Nugent; Dermot McGee, John L McGee (0-3), Damien Smith (0-1); Declan Reilly (0-1), Peter Mullan, Ollie Murphy; Subs: Gavin Murphy for Peter Nugent; Eamonn Comaskey for Patrick Nugent;

Carnaross 1-13 Drumconrath 1-10

Intermediate Championship

Played in Moynalty – 1/5/2009

Following a disappointing result in the opening round, Carnaross responded with a much improved performance to secure a vital three point victory over Drumconrath who also lost their first match.

The opening score of the game was a point from play from John L McGee who followed up soon afterwards with a free to give Carnaross an early two point lead. Drumconrath took the lead when a long ball into the square ended up in the net following their first attack. Another point from play gave them a two point lead before Carnaross levelled matters when McGee converted another free followed by a fine point from play from Paddy Nugent. Drumconrath restored their lead with a free kick but the lead didn’t last long as Paddy Nugent latched onto a John L McGee pass and finished well to the net to put Carnaross into a two point lead. This goal was a boost to Carnaross who were now beginning to dominate midfield with Brian Comaskey, Dermot McGee and Richard Mulvey excelling. Three points from John L McGee, Declan Reilly and Paddy Nugent increased the lead further before Drumconrath got the last score before the break giving Carnaross a 1-7 to 1-3 lead.

Drumconrath started the second-half the brightly and had the first two points on the board to cut the deficit to two points. John L McGee converted another free before Damien Smith restored the four point lead with a point from play. Yet again Drumconrath fought back with two more frees which were cancelled out by Brian Comaskey and McGee, both from play. When Drumconrath scored another point going into the closing stages it seemed certain there would be a close finish but a point from Paddy Nugent seemed to put the game beyond doubt before substitute Niall McDonnell made sure of the win before Drumconrath finished the game with a free.

Carnaross Team & Scorers: Cillian Comaskey; John Plunkett, Thomas Nugent, Patrick Smith; Eamonn Comaskey, Shane Comaskey, Ciaran McDonnell; Dermot McGee, Brian Comaskey (0-1); Damien Smith (0-1), John L McGee (0-6), Peter Mullan; Declan Reilly (0-1), Patrick Nugent (1-3), Richard Mulvey; Subs: Niall McDonnell (0-1) for Patrick Smith;

Carnaross 2-7 Gaeil Colmcille 1-14

Intermediate Championship

Played in Ballinlough – 14/6/2009

A poor first-half performance from Carnaross proved to be the difference as they went down to neighbours Gaeil Colmcille in the third round.

It was the Kells men who opened the scoring with an early free. John L McGee put the sides level again when he converted a free from outside the 45 mark. Gaeil Colmcille then began to dominate proceedings as they scored the next seven points without reply as Carnaross struggled to win possession around the middle. Damien Smith had an opportunity of a goal when he found himself one-on-one with the keeper who managed to close him down quickly. McGee converted two late frees just before the break to put Carnaross five behind.

Ollie Murphy was introduced at half-time and he was on the scoresheet straight away when his shot grazed the crossbar and went over for a point with his first touch. Gaeil Colmcille scored three more points to increase their lead about ten minutes in. Carnaross were beginning to get on top at this stage and when Declan Reilly converted a free and Niall McDonnell converted a fine effort from play they were keeping in touch. Ollie Murphy then latched onto a long ball into the area and as he held off his opponent with one arm he buried his shot low into the bottom corner of the net leaving just three points in it. However, Gaeil Colmcille responded with two more points and it could have been more but for a good save from Cillian Comaskey in goals. Murphy then put Declan Reilly through and he scored a point. Two more points from Gaeil Colmcille gave them a seven point lead before John L McGee gave Carnaross hope again with a breathtaking goal which gave the Kells keeper no chance. This was to be the last score of the game as neither side scored in the remaining five minutes.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; Peter Farrelly, Thomas Nugent, Patrick Smith; Eamonn Comaskey, Shane Comaskey, Ciaran McDonnell; Dermot McGee, Peter Nugent; Damien Smith, John L McGee (1-3), Declan Reilly (0-2); Niall McDonnell (0-1), Patrick Nugent, Richard Mulvey; Subs: Peter Mullan for Peter Nugent; John Plunkett for Patrick Smith; Ollie Murphy (1-1) for Richard Mulvey; Stein Carpenter for Eamonn Comaskey; Conor Woods for Ciaran Mc McDonnell;

Carnaross 0-10 Na Fianna 1-9

Intermediate Championship

Played in Simonstown – 12/9/2009

Carnaross were left to rue several missed opportunities as their hopes of qualification came to an end against Na Fianna.

Things looked good early on when John L McGee opened the scoring. Na Fianna were level following a free kick but Carnaross continued their bright start with two points from play from Dermot McGee to lead by two after ten minutes. Na Fianna responded strongly by scoring four unanswered points to take a two point lead. Niall McDonnell scored a long range point from play to reduce the margin. Another Na Fianna point was cancelled out with a breathtaking score from McDonnell. As the half came to an end Carnaross were dealt a blow when they conceded a goal which was quickly followed by a point and suddenly they were five points behind, 1-7 to 0-5.

Ollie Murphy scored a point for Carnaross after the resumption and this was the only score for about fifteen minutes as both sides were guilty of kicking bad wides. Carnaross missed a number of scoreable frees as they enjoyed plenty of possession during this period. Na Fianna finally ended the scoring drought with a free. Niall McDonnell scored a point but once again Na Fianna scored a free to maintain their five point lead. Carnaross dominated the remainder of the game as they battled hard to get back into contention. They scored three points from play through John L McGee, Niall McDonnell and Richard Mulvey to leave two between the sides but with time running out they couldn’t get the goal they needed with one effort being deflected away.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; Patrick Nugent, Thomas Nugent, John Plunkett; Eamonn Comaskey, Shane Comaskey, Patrick Smith; Brian Comaskey, Richard Mulvey (0-1); Damien Smith, John L McGee (0-2), Dermot McGee (0-2); Niall McDonnell (0-4), Conor Woods, Ollie Murphy (0-1); Subs: Peter Mullan for Damien Smith; Peter Nugent for Shane Comaskey;

Carnaross 0-8 Dunderry 1-15

Intermediate Championship

Played in Martry – 19/9/2009

Despite having nothing to play for in their final group game, a poor second-half performance from Carnaross resulted in a disappointing end to the campaign.

An early free put Dunderry into the lead before John L McGee equalized with a point from play. Dunderry then took control and scored the next five points without reply. Carnaross fought back late in the half with McGee converting a free before Dermot McGee and Niall McDonnell scored a point each from play. Cillian Comaskey kept Dunderry at bay with a fine save before John L McGee scored a point to leave just two between the sides, 0-7 to 0-5.

The second-half belonged to Dunderry who dominated the game as Carnaross put up little resistance. They got the perfect start when they scored a point which was followed by the games only goal. They never looked back from there and went on to score the next five points while also kicking a number of wides. Carnaross scored the next three points with two John L McGee frees and a Damien Smith point from play. McGee was then taken down by the Dunderry keeper when through on goal but his spot kick went wide. Dunderry finished the scoring with two more points to finish ten point winners.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; Patrick Nugent, Thomas Nugent, John Plunkett; Eamonn Comaskey, Shane Comaskey, Patrick Smith; Brian Comaskey, Richard Mulvey; Peter Nugent, John L McGee (0-5), Dermot McGee (0-1); Niall McDonnell (0-1), Conor Woods, Ollie Murphy; Subs: Damien Smith (0-1) for Patrick Smith; Matthew O’Reilly for Shane Comaskey;


Search Site

Fixture List

Sunday 25th February
In Ardcath @ 3:00
A League - Round 4
Carnaross v St Vincents

twitter feed