Carnaross Gaelic Football Club County Meath Ireland

2008 Intermediate Championship

Carnaross 2-7 Dunderry 1-7

Intermediate Championship

Played in Carlanstown – 20/4/2008

Carnaross got the Intermediate Championship off to the perfect start after a strong first-half performance set the platform for an impressive victory over Dunderry.

Dunderry had two early chances but they wasted both. After five minutes, following a long ball into the square by Ollie Murphy, Killian Porter rose highest to beat the keeper to the ball and fisted to the net to give Carnaross the early advantage. Two frees from John L. McGee stretched the lead before Ollie Murphy left it 1-3 to 0-0 with a fantastic point from a tight angle in the right-hand corner. McGee added another point from a free before Dunderry got off the mark with a point from play. Carnaross finished the half strongly when Ollie Murphy finished to the net following a good one-two with Brian Comaskey. At half-time Carnaross were in the driving seat and a lot of the credit should go to the defence who restricted the opposition two only one point to give a half-time lead of 2-4 to 0-1.

As expected Dunderry started the second-half intent on cutting the deficit and scored two early points. John L. McGee added another point for Carnaross from a free before Dunderry added two more points, both from frees. The next score was the best score of the game and came from John L. McGee. Following a one-two with Ollie Murphy in the corner, he split the posts with a fantastic effort from a tight angle to put seven points between the sides. Dunderry hit back with two more points before Ollie Murphy scored a point from play which restored a six point lead going into the closing stages. Dunderry were awarded a penalty in the last minute which proved to be the last play of the game. Keeper Cillian Comaskey was unlucky to see his saved effort rebound to a Dunderry attacker who finished to the net to leave three points between the sides and gave Carnaross a deserved victory following a great team performance.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; Emmet Mullan, Thomas Nugent, Dermot McGee; Eamonn Comaskey, Patrick Nugent, Peter Nugent; Conor Woods, Brian Comaskey; Ollie Murphy (1-2), Declan Reilly, Gavin Murphy; Killian Porter (1-0), John L. McGee (0-5), Damien Smith; Subs: Gary Carroll for Gavin Murphy; Alan Smyth for Damien Smith;

Carnaross 0-11 Clann na nGael 1-14

Intermediate Championship

Played in Bohermeen – 4/5/2008

A sluggish start combined with a failure to convert their opportunities cost Carnaross as they suffered a 6 point defeat to newly promoted Clann na nGael.

Clann na nGael were quickest off the blocks as they charged into a 5 point lead early in the first-half. Declan Reilly opened the scoring for Carnaross with a point from play before Clann na nGael added two more points. He followed this up with a free shortly afterwards from the right. John L McGee was next to get on the scoresheet with an excellent point from a tight angle. Another point from Gary Carroll left Carnaross just three points behind despite being outplayed for most of the opening period. Clann na nGael then added a free. Declan Reilly scored his third point of the half but Clann na nGael scored the final point to lead 0-9 to 0-5 at the interval.

Carnaross started the second-half very strongly as they set about cutting back the deficit. John L McGee scored two points, one from play and a free. By this stage Carnaross were well on top, dominating all areas but a concession of wides during this period was to prove costly. After about fifteen minutes and against the run of play Clann na nGael scored the games only goal. This was a hammer blow to the Carnaross revival but to their credit they refused to give up and scored the next two points through Paddy Nugent and Ollie Murphy, both from play, to leave a goal between the sides. Clann na nGael then got back into the game and scored two points of their own. Paddy Nugent hit back with a ’45 for Carnaross before Clann na nGael once again opened up their lead with three late points to run out six point winners.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; Emmet Mullan, Thomas Nugent, Dermot McGee; Peter Nugent, Patrick Nugent (0-3), Eamonn Comaskey; Conor Woods, Gary Carroll (0-1); Ollie Murphy (0-1), Declan Reilly (0-3), Alan Smyth; Killian Porter, John L. McGee (0-3), Damien Smith; Subs: Patrick Smith for Dermot McGee; Peter Mullan for Alan Smyth;

Carnaross 2-10 Gaeil Comcille 1-13

Intermediate Championship

Played in Moynalty – 8/6/2008

There was no separating neighbours Carnaross and Gaeil Colmcille as they played out a highly entertaining draw in Moynalty with 21 of the 26 scores all coming from play.

The opening exchanges were very tight as both sides were level at two points each after about five minutes with the Carnaross scores coming from John L McGee and a fantastic effort from Ollie Murphy. Carnaross were then boosted by a goal when McGee and Murphy linked up well with McGee finishing calmly to the bottom corner of the net. The Kells side scored the next two points of the match to leave the minimum between the sides. Carnaross then enjoyed a period of dominance as they restored their three point lead again with a free from McGee and a point from play from Ollie Muprhy. Their lead was doubled soon afterwards as Gavin Murphy set out on a run and seemed to run through most of the defence before rounding the keeper and blasting to the net from close range. Paddy Nugent increased the lead to seven with a point from play before Gaeil Colmcille cancelled it to leave Carnaross 2-5 to 0-5 ahead at the break.

Gaeil Colmcille started brightest in the second-half and had quickly halved the deficit with three points from play. Killian Porter responded with a point for Carnaross before Gaeil Colmcille resumed their dominance by adding another three points. The Kells side then hit the front when they scored a goal. Carnaross responded positively to this setback and two points from play from Gavin Murphy and John L McGee had the sides level with about ten minutes remaining. Gaeil Colmcille hit the front again but once again Carnaross hit back with an equaliser from Killian Porter before McGee gave them a one point lead with time almost up. However, Gaeil Colmcille levelled matters with the last kick of the ball from a free kick.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; Emmet Mullan, Thomas Nugent, Shane Comaskey; Eamonn Comaskey, Peter Nugent, Ciaran McDonnell; Gary Carroll, Brian Comaskey; Peter Mullan, Patrick Nugent (0-1), Gavin Murphy (1-1); Killian Porter (0-2), John L. McGee (1-4), Ollie Murphy (0-2); Subs: Dermot McGee for Shane Comaskey; Conor Woods for Eamonn Comaskey; Alan Smyth for Gary Carroll;

Carnaross 1-11 Ballivor 1-7

Intermediate Championship

Played in Athboy – 22/6/2008

Carnaross made their final outing in Group C a winning one with a four point win over Ballivor in windy conditions at Athboy.

Both sides hit early wides as they tried to get to grips with the breezy conditions before Ballivor were first on the scoreboard with a point from a free. Carnaross cancelled this out soon afterwards with a point from play from Declan Reilly. Corner-back Dermot McGee put Carnaross in front with a fine effort from play before his brother John L stretched the lead to two with another point from play. John L then added two frees to give Carnaross a four point lead going into the closing stages of the half. Another point from play from Declan Reilly was cancelled out by a Ballivor free with the last kick of the half to leave Carnaross in 0-6 to 0-2 in front at the break.

Carnaross registered quickly in the second half with a free from John L McGee. Ballivor found themselves back in the game when a long ball into the square was fisted to the net. Boosted by the goal Ballivor added two more points and suddenly the sides were on level terms. John L McGee added another free from a tight angle to put Carnaross back in front before he turned provider putting Declan Reilly through one on one with the keeper and he finished to the net from close range. Ballivor refused to give in and added two more points to leave two between the sides. Ballivor then had a player sent off and this seemed to kill off their challenge. John L McGee added another point from play before linking up with Ollie Murphy to score his second in quick succession. The final score of the game went to Dermot McGee when he got his second point from play.

Carnaross must now await the outcome of the remaining games in the group to see where they finish in the table.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; Emmet Mullan, Thomas Nugent, Dermot McGee (0-2); Patrick Nugent, Peter Nugent, Ciaran McDonnell; Conor Woods, Brian Comaskey; Killian Porter, Declan Reilly (1-2), Peter Mullan; Damien Smith, John L. McGee (0-7), Ollie Murphy; Subs: Patrick Smith for Peter Mullan; Gavin Murphy for Damien Smith;

Carnaross 2-5 Syddan 1-13

Intermediate Championship (Quarter-Final Playoff)

Played in Meath Hill – 2/9/2008

Carnaross saw their championship run come to an end when they went down to a five point defeat to Syddan.

The concession of 1-5 without reply in the opening 15 minutes proved costly. Syddan had scored 0-4 from play before they scored the opening goal of the game. Another point from play gave them an eight point lead and it didn’t look good for Carnaross who were struggling to get on the scoreboard. A free from Declan Reilly opened the scoring before John L McGee did well to score a goal for Carnaross to bring them back into the game. Syddan converted a free kick before Carnaross responded through Ollie Murphy when following good play from Paddy Nugent and John L McGee he finished the move with an excellent shot to the back of the net. Suddenly Carnaross were only two points behind as the half time whistle blew despite Syddan’s early dominance.

Once again Syddan got the better start to the second period with two points, one from a free. John L McGee scored a free for Carnaross before Syddan stretched their lead again with two more points. Carnaross were battling hard to get back into the game but despite their efforts their opponents were responding with scores of their own. Both sides added three more points each with McGee (2) and Brian Comaskey registering for Carnaross. As full-time approached Carnaross laid an assault on the Syddan goal but they couldn’t break through a determined defence and so made their championship exit.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; Dermot McGee, Thomas Nugent, Emmet Mullan; Eamonn Comaskey, Patrick Nugent, Peter Nugent; Conor Woods, Brian Comaskey (0-1); Ollie Murphy (1-0), Declan Reilly (0-1) John L McGee (1-3); Killian Porter, Gavin Murphy, Damien Smith; Subs: Patrick Smith for Emmet Mullan; Stephen Flattery for Damien Smith; Peter Mullan for Gavin Murphy;


Search Site

Fixture List

Sunday 25th February
In Ardcath @ 3:00
A League - Round 4
Carnaross v St Vincents

twitter feed